Friday, December 20, 2019

Preparations: November and December

Man it's getting close to the departure day. I feel a strange mix of angst to begin and hesitance to commence. It's so easy to feel overwhelmed when I am confronted with the immensity of the project, but I have to quickly remind myself that when viewed on a day-by-day basis, this Big Year will be a manageable reality. But still, I cannot help but feel the onset of nerves when I see a dealer tag on a new car with a January 2020 date. While that person is ripping their hair out at a DMV to avoid getting pulled over for a DIY "tag applied for" placeholder, I'll be making huge strategic moves or even undertaking this thing. Am I ready??

This pendulum of emotions is easier to neutralize when I am conscious. Sleeping is another story. With each passing December day, hours of sleep come less easily. Night after night I find myself in a dream state, only to be jolted to reality by the sudden awareness of some piece of equipment that I have yet to secure. Curse you phonescope adapters and fingernail clippers. Just let me sleep in peace!

Alright alright. Let's get back to the reality of the moment with an announcement about dollas. I have finally arranged for donations to be made to either the Nature Conservancy or the American Birding Association (or both if you're feeling really generous in this season of giving). I'm posting links below to both of these options but have also added a portal through a tab on the blog.

https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/2020-the-vision-conservation

https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/2020-the-vision-birding

So give your hearts out. These are two seriously legit organizations. The Nature Conservancy promotes the conservation of healthy natural systems through protection and wise management, and the American Birding Association represents the face of birding the the United States. Both are worthy of whatever money you can spare, and I honestly appreciate donations to both equally. In their essence, both groups are nature-centric, and they want to see the appreciation of nature encouraged and popularized.

So what am I getting down to in crunch time? Making arrangements, making purchases, and making memories. I'm scrambling to get all of my gear. Oh, I also got some cards made to be especially official. I've also discovered that Ed Platt, that British cat that just unicycled around the world, is releasing video episodes of his travels through the United States. This guy is quickly becoming a personal hero. I mean just check out his travel through the Mojave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLgKfYPlN08

What a cool series. I'm amazed that it is self-shot.

In my next blog, I will post photos of my final rig and my full equipment spread (with an accompanying list). Catch you then.

Me Before a 500+ Species Year (Photo by Traci Moss)






2 comments:

  1. John, it was a pleasure meeting you today and getting the opportunity to bird with you during the Aiken CBC. Jamie and I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shane,
      I really enjoyed birding with you and Jamie on the count. Thank you for the wishes; I hope to see y’all again in a year!

      Delete